APPLY NOWThis module is validated by London South Bank University.
The module aims to:
- Enable the student to appreciate the multifactorial effects of obesity on the parents’ reproductive health and that of their children.
- Enhance the student’s understanding of the obese mother and the potential risks involved during pregnancy and parturition.
- Consider a range of support interventions for the obese individual prior to, during, and post-pregnancy, and also for the child.
As the obesity crisis affects more individuals so we are seeing the impact not only on their ability to conceive, but also on their children. This module will review the short and long term effects of obesity on the reproductive health of individuals, both male and female, and the health of their offspring through epigenetic trans-generational effects.
Reproductive health will examined in the pre-conception, pre-natal, peri-natal, and post-natal phases. The in utero origins of obesity, and the impact of adiposity in babies and childhood will be critically reviewed so as to develop effective intervention strategies both for mother and child.
Each module intake starts with a specifically designed Introduction to Academic Online Learning. Students are required to complete some simple assignments to ensure they are able not only to work in the online environment but also are aware of the requirements for academic study at this level.
Methods of delivery include: audio and visual presentations involving interactive e-learning units and presentations, Discussion Forums, academic tutorials and group work. Students learn through engaging in critical reflective practice on cases and course material that is recorded in their Portfolio; Discussion Forums; critiquing articles; casework; group work; and research-based assignments.
The assessment of this module includes formative and summative assessments that develop and assess: participation in Discussion Forums; self reflection and reflection on peer contributions; research based, case led assignment; critique of scientific literature.
CCH courses have been specifically developed for Health professionals who are interested in advancing their understanding of obesity and developing more practical methods for the management and treatment of obesity. The course is most suitable for GPs, doctors, nurses, physicians, surgeons, physiotherapists, dieticians, nutritionists, psychologists, and counsellors running weight-management clinics.
In order to be considered for entry to this module applicants are normally required to have the following qualifications:
- A Bachelor degree in a relevant health or social care, or biomedical discipline or evidence of equivalent health and/or social care experience which equates to Level 6 abilities eg working as a senior nurse/midwife or healthcare practitioner in a leadership or management role which requires evidence of critical analysis and evaluation.
- Students should be working in a relevant area and have a minimum of one year experience.
- Proficiency in the English Language (equivalent of IELTS Level 7, min 6.5 in all components).
- Students studying the Postgraduate Diploma or MSc would normally have taken all 3 modules of the Postgraduate Certificate in Obesity Care and Management prior to studying this module.
- Students who hold an HE Diploma, or evidence of equivalent health and/or social care experience which equates to Level 6 can apply to enrol on Obesity: Causes and Consequences at Level 6. Following successful completion of this module they will be invited to study further modules at Level 7 as part of the PGCert/PGDip/MSc in Obesity Care and Management.
This module requires a payment of the standard CCH Postgraduate Module fee. Click the Apply Now button below to apply for this module.
1 POSTGRADUATE MODULE
- £685 deposit and 3 x £200 monthly instalments
The entire application process is online. Here are the steps which need to be completed before you study:
1. Application Form
Fill out the application form. If you need any help, please call +44(0)20 3773 4895.
We review your application within 10 working days. At this stage, we may ask for additional documents.
If your application is successful, you need to pay the tuition fee (see above).
Get access to CCH, complete the 5 hour Introduction to Academic Online Learning course, and start your studies.
Graduates of CCH courses will enhance their knowledge and expertise in the area of obesity care and management. The course develops health professionals who are confident, highly skilled practitioners with a well-rounded understanding of the obesity problem and how to practically treat and manage it. The course gives health professionals the essential knowledge to make an impact in helping deal with the obesity epidemic.
If you need assistance or have any questions, please contact us.