- Develop your specialism in obesity care and management with this Postgraduate Diploma
- Study flexibly online in a way that suits you and your career
Join this practical, structured pathway to enhance your knowledge and skills in Obesity Care and Management. Studying wholly online, you will complete 6 unique modules that allow you to take what you learn straight into practice.
We are supportive of your career at all times, which is why this PGDip has been designed to suit even the most time-strapped professional. If you haven’t studied in this way before, don’t worry. To prepare you, we have an introduction course – Induction to Academic Online Learning – to help you make the most of your time studying with us.APPLY NOW
You will graduate from the PGDip in Obesity Care and Management with:
- The ability to deliver individualised, effective, and evidence-based care and management plans to obese individuals
- A reflective, enquiring, critical and innovative approach to professional practice
- A commitment to excellence in obesity care and management. You will learn to always take an analytical approach, based on the best available practice
- Enhanced digital literacy skills for both academic and clinical practice
- Access to a wide range of opportunities to develop your work in specialised areas
- A new perspective on personal development and a life-long approach to learning
Your first step on this course is the Introduction to Academic Online Learning module. This will get you set up for studying online with us. It’s a small part of the course, but it will make all the difference to your learning.
Next, you will begin work on the six modules that make up the degree. Each module is 12 weeks long and is worth 20 credits towards your final degree. The first five are compulsory:
- Obesity: Causes and Consequences
- Obesity: Behavioural Aspects
- Obesity: The Solutions?
- The Obese Person
- Research Methods in Health and Social Care
You can then choose one specialist module from this list:
- Paediatric Obesity
- Nutritional Approaches to Obesity
- Obesity and Reproductive Health
- Specialist Obesity Care Services (launching 2018)
- Comparative Approaches to Obesity Care and Management (launching 2018)
You will join us in one of three intakes per academic year, as part of a defined Study Period. Normally, we’d expect you to take just one module per study period, but you can take more if you need to be more flexible with your study.
Throughout the course, you will be an important part of an inter-professional and interdisciplinary dialogue, all of which will feed back into your career in healthcare.
You will learn in a variety of different ways, from a rich source of teaching material. Our carefully tailored teaching methods include: audio and visual presentations involving interactive e-learning units and presentations, videos, discussion forums, academic tutorials, and group work.
Your study means you will be engaging in critical reflection on cases and course material. You will also be leading discussions in forums, critiquing articles and web based sources of information, reviewing material in quizzes to assess your knowledge and understanding of key papers, casework, group work and research-based assignments
For each module, your assessment will be based on the different ways you have been studying. We work with an emphasis on developing your abilities, as well as assessing them, meaning all your learning outcomes can be achieved. Each module has a formative and summative assessment. Types of assessment vary for each module and can include:
- Reflection on peer contributions
- Evaluation of the validity and reliability of information sources both for you and the public
- Research based, case led assignments
- Application of behaviour change strategies
- Written academic papers for publication in a designated journal
- The effectiveness of your individualised care plans
This course is for you if you are a health professional interested in advancing your understanding of obesity. It will help you develop more practical methods for the management and treatment of obesity. Your fellow students will be GPs, doctors, nurses, physicians, surgeons, physiotherapists, dieticians, nutritionists, psychologists, and counsellors running weight-management clinics.
To qualify for the PGDip in Obesity Care and Management, you will normally need to have the following qualifications:
- A Bachelor degree equivalent to Second Class Honours Lower Division (2:2) in a relevant health or social care, or biomedical discipline, or evidence of equivalent health and/or social care experience, which equates to Level 6 abilities e.g. working as a senior nurse/midwife or healthcare practitioner in a leadership or management role which requires evidence of critical analysis and evaluation
- You should be working in a relevant area and have a minimum of one year experience
- Proficiency in the English Language (equivalent of IELTS Level 7, min 6.5 in all components)
Tuition fees for the PGDiploma in Obesity Care and Management are £7,110
The module fee can be paid in instalments. Please contact the Admissions Team on +44 (0)20 3773 4895 for more details.
If you are ready, click the Apply Now button below.
Graduating with this PGDip means you will be amongst the vanguard of health professionals with specialist expertise in obesity care and management. Our graduates are health professionals who are confident, highly skilled practitioners with a well-rounded understanding of the obesity problem and how to practically treat and manage it. You will be uniquely placed to make an impact in helping deal with the obesity epidemic.
The entire application process is online. Here are the steps which need to be completed before you study:
1. Application Form
Fill out the application form. If you need any help, please call +44(0)20 3773 4895.
We review your application within 10 working days. At this stage, we may ask for additional documents.
If your application is successful, you need to pay the tuition fee (see above).
Get access to CCH, complete the 5 hour Introduction to Academic Online Learning course, and start your studies.
If you need assistance or have any questions, please contact us.