This module is validated by London South Bank University.
The aims of this module are to:
- Review the multitude of factors contributing to obesity, and also the health, financial and social consequences of this modern epidemic.
- Provide a means to assess patients according to the causes of their obesity so as to generate more effective solutions.
- Demonstrate that successful solutions to the problem will only be found through increasing compassion for people living with obesity and adopting an interdisciplinary approach.
This module will explore causes of obesity in depth to facilitate a greater understanding of the problem in an individual patient. Evidence for classifying obesity as a disease will be reviewed along with conflicting hypotheses on the science and pathophysiology of obesity. Key questions will be asked about the role of the food industry, changes in food consumption, food policy, and the individual in the obesity epidemic.
The module also includes an overview the physiology of adipose tissue and the co-morbidities of obesity and their pathogenesis including: type 2 diabetes, complications of pregnancy, cognitive effects, sleep apnoea, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, and cardiovascular complications. The emotional and economic consequences of obesity, together with the impact of an obesogenic environment, are also reviewed.
Each module intake starts with a specifically designed Introduction to Academic Online Learning. Students are required to complete some simple assignments to ensure they are able not only to work in the online environment but also are aware of the requirements for academic study at this level.
Methods of delivery include: audio and visual presentations involving interactive e-learning units and presentations, Discussion Forums, academic tutorials and group work.
Students learn through engaging in critical reflective practice on cases and course material that is recorded in their Student Log; Discussion Forums; critiquing articles and web based sources of information; quizzes to assess knowledge and understanding of key papers; casework; group work; and research-based assignments.
The assessment of this module includes formative and summative assessments that develop and assess: participation in Discussion Forums; self reflection and reflection on peer contributions; evaluation of the validity and reliability of information sources both for themselves and the public; research based case led assignment.
CCH courses have been specifically developed for Health professionals who are interested in advancing their understanding of obesity and developing more practical methods for the management and treatment of obesity. The course is most suitable for GPs, doctors, nurses, physicians, surgeons, physiotherapists, dieticians, nutritionists, psychologists, and counsellors running weight-management clinics.
In order to be considered for entry to this module applicants are normally required to have the following qualifications:
- A Bachelor degree in a relevant health or social care, or biomedical discipline or evidence of equivalent health and/or social care experience which equates to Level 6 abilities eg working as a senior nurse/midwife or healthcare practitioner in a leadership or management role which requires evidence of critical analysis and evaluation.
- Students should be working in a relevant area and have a minimum of one year experience.
- Proficiency in the English Language (equivalent of IELTS Level 7, min 6.5 in all components).
- Students who hold an HE Diploma, or evidence of equivalent health and/or social care experience which equates to Level 6 can apply to enrol on Obesity: Causes and Consequences at Level 6. Following successful completion of this module they will be invited to study further modules at Level 7 as part of the PGCert/PGDip/MSc in Obesity Care and Management.
The tuition fee for each CCH postgraduate module is £1185.
The module fee can be paid in instalments. Please contact the Admissions Team on +44 (0)20 3773 4895 for more details.
If you are ready, click the Apply Now button below to apply for this module.
The entire application process is online. Here are the steps which need to be completed before you study:
1. Application Form
Fill out the application form. If you need any help, please call +44(0)20 3773 4895.
We review your application within 10 working days. At this stage, we may ask for additional documents.
If your application is successful, you need to pay the tuition fee (see above).
Get access to CCH, complete the 5 hour Introduction to Academic Online Learning course, and start your studies.
Graduates of CCH courses will enhance their knowledge and expertise in the area of obesity care and management. The course develops health professionals who are confident, highly skilled practitioners with a well-rounded understanding of the obesity problem and how to practically treat and manage it. The course gives health professionals the essential knowledge to make an impact in helping deal with the obesity epidemic.
If you need assistance or have any questions, please contact us.