A 2-hour online course
This is a 2-hour, fully online course, which you can take from the comfort of your home.
Good communication skills are essential for eliciting influencing health behaviour change and play an important role in all areas of healthcare. These skills apply whether you have conversations with patients, relatives, and carers, colleagues as well as in group situations. They will also be very useful in meetings, such as strategic or multi-disciplinary meetings. This skills based course will support all your communication needs. As a result, the care you give to your patients will ultimately improve.
The Behaviour Change Skills: Person-Centred Communication course will introduce you to person-centred communication skills. It aims to enhance your current practice and provide you with a foundation for more advanced behaviour change skills courses.
On completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Observe and accurately label skills within a well-defined model
- Describe how person-centred communication skills can be used in an appropriate way
- Explain how good communication skills can influence everyday practice from both practitioner and patient experience and thereby improve outcomes
- Refer to the evidence that underpins the use of these skills
- Plan next steps to implement the skills learnt in practice
This course is divided into 6 short topics:
- Patient experience
- First contact skills
- Paraphrasing & questions
- Reflecting feelings
- Use of summaries
- Providing information effectively
You will learn through audio and video, interactive e-learning units and presentations, a quiz and reflective exercises. You will be able to download the course content as PDFs.
This course is suitable for professionals working in healthcare, including: doctors, nurses, dietitians, physiotherapists, speech and language therapists, occupational therapists, non-clinical practitioners and all those helping people to change.