The Postgraduate Certificate in Obesity Care and Management critically reviews the latest research on obesity in order to prepare students to deal with the complexity of the condition, whilst ensuring a compassionate approach to dealing with those people requiring obesity care.
Learn to reduce obesity in individual patients by seeing the whole picture. Get the confidence to talk about cultural and personal causes and strengthen your relationships with obese patients. Overcome the behavioural factors that stand in the way and inspire your patients to control their weight, and rescue their health.
This course is validated by London South Bank University.
The Postgraduate Certificate in Obesity Care and Management aims to:
- Equip graduates with the knowledge skills and attributes to enable them to deliver individualised, effective, and evidence based care and management plans to obese individuals.
- Develop a reflective, enquiring, critical and innovative approach to professional practice.
- Foster a commitment to excellence in providing for those requiring obesity care and management through ensuring an analytical approach that is based on best available practice.
- Enhance digital literacy skills for both academic and clinical practice.
This 36 week course is broken into 3 modules, during which you will get to grips with the complex causes of obesity, and start finding solutions. You will come to understand the relationships between obesity and its associated illnesses in a way that allows you to take action with your patients.
Each course intake starts with a specifically designed Induction to Online Academic Online Learning. Students are required to complete some simple assignments to ensure they are able not only to work in the online environment but also are aware of the requirements for academic study at this level.
The modules of the Postgraduate Certificate in Obesity Care and Management are:
The modules have been designed to encourage interprofessional and interdisciplinary discussions and sharing of best practice, as required in government and professional body documents on the educational needs in this area.
The teaching and learning pattern on the course is deliberately varied. Methods of delivery include: audio and visual presentations involving interactive e-learning units and presentations, Discussion Forums, academic tutorials and group work.
Students learn through engaging in critical reflective practice on cases and course material that is recorded in their Student Log; Discussion Forums; critiquing articles and web based sources of information; quizzes to assess knowledge and understanding of key papers; casework; group work; and research-based assignments.
The assessment of the modules includes formative and summative assessments that develop and assess: participation in Discussion Forums; self reflection and reflection on peer contributions; evaluation of the validity and reliability of information sources both for themselves and the public; research based, case led assignment; and application of behaviour change strategies; so as to ensure the learning outcomes are achieved.
CCH courses have been specifically developed for Health professionals who are interested in advancing their understanding of obesity and developing more practical methods for the management and treatment of obesity. The course is most suitable for GPs, doctors, nurses, physicians, surgeons, physiotherapists, dieticians, nutritionists, psychologists, and counsellors running weight-management clinics.
In order to be considered for entry to the Postgraduate Certificate in Obesity Care and Management applicants are normally required to have the following qualifications:
- A Bachelor degree equivalent to Second Class Honours Upper Division (2:1) in a relevant health or social care, or biomedical discipline or evidence of equivalent health and/or social care experience which equates to Level 6 abilities eg working as a senior nurse/midwife or healthcare practitioner in a leadership or management role which requires evidence of critical analysis and evaluation.
- Students should be working in a relevant area and have a minimum of one year experience.
- Proficiency in the English Language (equivalent of IELTS Level 7, min 6.5 in all components).
Each of the 3 modules of the PGCert in Obesity Care and Management requires a payment of the standard CCH Postgraduate Module fee. The course total fee is therefore £3555.
Click the Apply Now button below to apply for your first module.
1 POSTGRADUATE MODULE
- £435 deposit and 3 x £250 monthly instalments
The entire application process is online. Here are the steps which need to be completed before you study:
1. Application Form
Fill out the application form. If you need any help, please call +44(0)20 3773 4895.
We review your application within 5 days. At this stage, we may ask for additional documents.
Graduates of CCH courses will enhance their knowledge and expertise in the area of obesity care and management. The course develops health professionals who are confident, highly skilled practitioners with a well-rounded understanding of the obesity problem and how to practically treat and manage it. The course gives health professionals the essential knowledge to make an impact in helping deal with the obesity epidemic.
If you need assistance or have any questions, please contact us.
Study at your own pace. All our teaching is designed to fit around your career. You will focus on three key areas to complete your specialist training: The causes and consequences of obesity, behavioural aspects and the solutions. You will graduate from the course with a complete range of knowledge and skills, ready to reduce obesity in your healthcare practice. You will also be part of a network of students and graduates from our course, ready to collaborate and debate this urgent health issue. You will no longer be tackling patient obesity alone.
- Talk with confidence to your patients about their obesity
- Understand and resolve the complex causes of obesity
- Overcome behavioural factors that prevent cure
- Get to the heart of cultural and environmental causes
- Assess your patient’s unique situation and inspire them to change
- Become part of the solution for the UK as an obesity specialist
- Take your skills and knowledge in new career directions